St Mary’s Church, Motuti is the place of the reinterment of the Bishop’s remains beneath the altar in April 2002.
It is a place of pilgrimage, with many visitors annually from both New Zealand and overseas.
The church is situated 2.5 km along Motuti Road from the Kohukohu-Mitimiti highway
Bishop Pompallier arrived here in 1838 and celebrated the first official Mass in New Zealand on January 13 at the home of the Irish Catholics, Thomas and Mary Poynton.
The site is 1km from the main Kohukohu-Mangamuka road and is visited throughout the year. A plinth marks the location.
Annually, on the second Sunday of January, a memorial gathering and Mass are held at the site.
This photo shows the scene in 1938 at the centennial gathering.